A dear friend of mine recently returned from a trip through Jordan and Israel, where she had the most flavorful quinoa dish of her life. It got me thinking…I hadn’t made quinoa in a while and it could serve as the perfect backdrop for two of my favorite summertime foods: blueberries and snap peas. Quinoa is high in protein, so this salad is a great lunch by itself. Serve it alongside salmon or cod from Linda Brand Crab or add some chicken from Deck Family Farms to create a dinner.
Makes approximately 7 cups.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth*
- 2 cups fresh blueberries*
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions*
- 1 cup snap peas, cut into ¼-inch slices*
- ½ cup cubed cucumbers* (the small Persian ones are perfect, but if you get a larger cucumber, seed it first)
For the orange vinaigrette
- 1 large orange (for 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest and ⅓ cup + 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
* available this week at the market
Pour quinoa into a mesh strainer and rinse well under cold water to remove bitterness. Place quinoa and broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool to room temperature uncovered.
Meanwhile, cut the vegetables and make the dressing. Zest the orange whole, then cut in half to juice (half an orange gave me the generous 1/3 cup needed). Whisk together the orange juice, zest, honey, balsamic vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place quinoa in a large bowl and stir in the dressing. Add in the veggies and mix gently. Taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed. Fold in the blueberries and serve.
Written by KJ Fields, She writes about people, projects and health from her place in Woodstock.